View Single Post
Old May 11, 2006, 01:48 AM
Street Cricketer

Default Coaching

Dear Forum fans, I read with interest your comments concerning Aminul Islam as the new Bangladesh A team coach. I am also living in Sydney and have been involved around the Premier cricket and first class cricket system in a number of Australian cities for the last15-20 years.

I also watched on the TV with great interest and admiration for you guys during the series against the Aussies and believe it or not I hoped like crazy that BD could pull off a win for the greater good of the game. So too did many other Aussie supporters I must say!

I am surprised by your comments concerning the BD "A" team coach - is it true? I may be completely off on the wrong track here, but it was my understanding that BD has 2 Aussie guys working in the system supporting your National Team.

As far as I was aware BDC appointed Shaun Williams Game Development Manager as well as being the A team Coach and also BDC have Allister DeWinter as the head coach of the U/19's and I heard, the soon to be opened National cricket Academy?

That is the word going here in Australian cricket circles anyway, but maybe it's not right - who knows? or maybe things have changed quickly, but I don't know why that would be the case ??

What I can say for sure is that these two guys have earned a lot of respect in Australia before they left and both have really strong records in coaching and playing at a high level in Australia.

They come from different parts of Australia, DeWinter played a lot of good first class cricket in Tasmania before he retired and got into coaching, where he has earned a reputation in Australia as an excellent motivator and very good bowling coach as well being an excellent team coach at National Youth Level. He then moved to WA as a coach and everyone that works with him will tell you that he is a top-class operator. It was no surprise that he left Aus. for more opportunities as he was right up there in the system in Australia but of course there are limited opportunities for these guys so I guess they have to look internationally.

Williams was a Victorian (I think) who departed Melbourne for more opportunities as a player in the Northern Territory and Australian Capital Territory during the early to mid 90's - where his opening batting and captaincy earned him great respect as a hard working batter, brilliant fielder and very smart tactician. From memory he scored heavily against all the visiting First-Class teams and consistently scored good runs against the visiting International Teams, but in the Aussie system because it is Territory cricket these matches are not officially classified - the NT and ACT are still fighting for official status from the Board at the moment I think. I heard he retired a little prematurely due to injury, but the powers that be decided to install him as the head coach immediately after he retired and he had great success as the senior coach as well. He is also credited with being the instigator of the Northern Territory Institute Cricket Academy which is very highly regarded. As far as I know, because he retired a bit early he has been a fullly qualified Level 3 - High Performance coach (the highest coaching qualification) for the best part of 10 years. His departure to BD was not unexpected as those that know him say that he has much to offer and it was only a matter of time before somebody took him.

I’m not sure about Mr. Aminul Islam, obviously he played for Bangladesh, which is a great honour - but I would be very surprised if he could come anywhere near these guys for coaching and playing credentials - at this stage anyway. From what I hear Mr. Aminul has been playing and coaching in Sydney sub-district ranks and has been doing his Level 2 coaching certificate (?) But I'm not really sure about this.

With due respect, comparing this with what the other guys have achieved in Australia at this stage is like comparing chalk and cheese!

Anyway, if nothing else you should all be happy that you have two such good guys working for cricket in BD. Hopefully they will come back to Aust. one day with more good experiences gained from being in Bangladesh. In the mean time, for the good of the game we all hope that they and everyone else that works in Bangladesh cricket can continue to make big moves forward.

It certainly looks for a very promising future - but everyone must be patient I think. Rome wasn't built in a day!