View Single Post
Old March 17, 2008, 12:33 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket
Default Time to revamp ZIA?

With all these talks going about our booming airline industry, currently at 8% per annum, i think the time is right to consider about renovating our Zia International Airport, or built a new one.

Almost every other day in the newspaper, you'd read a new airliner starts a flight to/from Dhaka or seeking permission to do so.

Currently our ZIA, in terms of its facilities, probably ranks in the lower bottom of the airport list around the world.

Keeping in per with our economic growth, we will certainly experience a surge in the passenger number both locally and internationally.

Keeping this in mind, and with a vision of next 20 years, i think we should start planning for a new, improved Dhaka International Airport.

Not only it would provide with a better passenger facilities, but we could also be a hub for transit passenger of the likes of Singapore. I know its a little bit over-ambitious vision but there is nothing wrong in trying to make a name for ourselves.

ZIA also needs to be relocated from Uttara. When it was built back in the 80's, the airport was at the end of the city. But with the continuing expansion of our capital, ZIA is pretty much IN the city right now. With more and more high rise buildings, it would also be a problem later on in terms of safety and noise pollution.

What do you guys thinks?
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]