View Single Post
Old April 1, 2013, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Actually, I desperately want him to play Tests.

Scenario:

Mash and Nazmul open the bowling, Mash bowls 7 overs, Nazmul bowls 8 (hypothetically speaking, if Mash is feeling klutzy then he doesn't have to bowl so many in one go), opponent: 40/3 after 15. Ok, let's say 50/2. By the end of the inning, Mash will have bowled 15 overs, Nazmul 20, Shakib and Gazi 30 each, Riyad (he's not going anywhere, unfortunately) 10, Ashraful/Nasir/Nayeem a combined 10. That's a total of 115 overs. Stretch a few of these guys and it could go up to 130. That's enough time to bowl a team out on a semi-good outing. Let's say 350-375 a/o. Shakib and Gazi combine to get 5/6 wickets, the rest can split the balance among themselves.

Now consider this:

Abul: 30-0-180-0
SRK: 30-0-210-0
Rubel: 20-0-100-0
Shakib and Gazi combined (at the back of the beating endured by the pacers): 100-20-250-6
Part-timers: Doesn't matter, we're already screwed

At the end of the inning, opponent: 1000/6 dec

I don't think bowling 15 overs over two days will cause Mash to break down. If that happens, it could happen in an ODI too.

Our pace bowling situation isn't improving any time soon. If we can get around 30-40 overs of l&l bowling (and a few wickets) from our pacers in a Test match, that should be more than enough to keep the pressure on and allow our spinners to finish the job. These Abuls are just not cutting it anymore (not that they ever did).