View Single Post
Old November 13, 2007, 07:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Excellent read Sohel bhai.

In the light of the ongoing discussion in the thread, I am reposting two quotes from McInnes and Siddons.

Quote:
"I think the Bangladesh batsmen still need to master the art of building an innings, of getting to the other end when they are under pressure rather than swinging wildly, of batting as a pair better rather than two individuals, of staying positive even when defending or batting in tough conditions. This does not mean still scoring at a SR of 80+ but maintaining positive intent. I have watched several times when the Bangladeshi batsmen get in trouble they try and sit in the crease and hold the opposition out. It is really only a matter of time before they get out. You need to keep taking the game to the opposition but with calculated risks, not impetuous rushes of blood."

- Richard McInnes
Quote:
"You got be aggressive for success at any level of cricket. But at the same time you need to be sensible. You got to be able to jump on the bad balls, make the ball percentages of the danger areas very small and make the bowlers worry about where you would go to hit them. But you also got to leave a lot of balls alone in Test cricket if you want to get success. I think Bangladeshi batsmen need to learn how to blend that perfectly. They should hit the bad balls for fours. There is no point to bat for two hours and score only 20 but if the opposition bowled two very good hours then someday you have to be satisfied with 20 and remain not out. That is my challenge, to educate the batsmen when to go and when not to go."

- Jamie Siddons
I am also reposting what Gowza said in another thread, something that made a lot of sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
pretty much spot on, hit the bad balls to the boundary, leave the dangerous ones and get singles, 2's and 3's from the rest. but to be able to do that and to decide what to do with each ball the batsman needs to be in full concentration every ball otherwise they'll miss opportunities to hit boundaries and they'll also miss judge balls that are dangerous as less dangerous and attempt something they shouldn't attempt with that particular ball.