Thread: Soccer USA
View Single Post
Old July 30, 2009, 01:42 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
Until and unless they learn to can keep possession of the ball more than a minute or so, I have no time for USA soccer. Just watched Chelsea and AC last Friday . Sitting at the stadium, you really appreciate how the great players never lose possession, how they pass around at will for minutes, and sometimes stringing together 10-15 passes with one touch. USA is no way near that. They have improved and they should. They have all the resources. They have thousands of kids playing in highschool, yet something is missing. It is too structured. US players easily lose possession when pressured. I have no interest in US soccer. The product is shitty.
Surprised to read such sweeping generalizations from you dear friend. "Shitty"? I think that's your preconceived notion talking. A little presumptuous, are we? ...

American soccer, like Bangladeshi cricket, does not offer the quality of elite nations of the sport yet, but it has come a long way in a very short period of time since 1994. Our victories and competitive performances against some of those sides embody the progress. Look at how we played in the Confederations Cup despite having an idiot like Bradley at the helm!

Fitness and team cohesion have never been issues for the American athlete in any sport where we're tagged the underdog, and nowadays we have more technically sound players. I suggest you attend an MLS match whenever you have the chance or closely watch one on TV. You'd be pleasantly surprised.

Moreover, the US Women's team is one of the best ever, and youth teams are considered top notch in their age group. I doubt that persistent "shittiness" and "prevalent inability" to possess the ball can get us there. Look at the record of Team USA since 1994 and reassess your assumptions. Also look at the fact that most of our players are homegrown now, with a majority born and raised in the US of A.

As far as the national team is concerned, the style varies according to the coach. Bruce Arena and to a slightly lesser extent, Steve Sampson emphasized fast counter attack and man to man defense. Ball possession along the ground whenever possible. Technically gifted players such as Claudio Reyna did that for us.

The current coach believes in zonal defense with quick counterattack, and more often than not, wasteful long balls to be chased down with limited success. You already know what I think of him. Luckily we have skilled guys like Carlos Bocanegra, Landon Donovan, Brian Ching, Clint Dempsey, DaMarcus Beasley and Jozy Altiodore among others who do what they see fit according to the situation. Guys like Freddy Adu will also make their mark soon.

That said, often American players, other than our keepers (some of the best in the world), don't get a fair shot in European leagues because preconceived bias, rather than what's right in front of them, clouds the judgment of fundamentally Anti-American European coaches.

I'm not suggesting that soccer would ever be as popular in the US as it is in Latin America, Europe, Africa and elsewhere, or as popular as hockey in Canada, Michigan, Minnesota, or Alaska, but we can still be in the top 16 by 2014 at the latest, and stay there. Cricket is not the most popular sport in South Africa or Australia for that matter, but look where they are. Again, look at how far we've come in just 15 years and you won't find that to be an unrealistic assumption.

Being disconnected from certain realities, or liking or disliking any side or style of soccer is always your prerogative, but be fair. BTW, that's exactly what I ask of folks who enjoy decontextualizing and dissing our cricket ...
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; July 30, 2009 at 07:17 AM..