View Single Post
Old March 23, 2011, 11:28 PM
Club Cricketer

The pitch was not a 58, 78 or 112 pitch. I think it is like 150 to 180 pitch. Even though our batting sucked, but we need to know how much sucked. Here is my observation:
1) Mirpur has two types of pitches - one is like Ind/BD or the earlier asia cup, where no score is safe under dew. The second type is typical dhaka pitch where ball comes really low and very hard to score.
You can only score against new ball and pace.
2) This second category low pitch works worst specially in the afternoon time. Afternoon time, I meant, if it is a day-night match, then the first session and if it is a day match, it is the second session. For example, the SA/BD day match, if you bat first, 220 is a very good score and scoring 284 is like unbelievably great score. If you bat second for the SA/BD match, this 220 is equivalent to 180,if you bat good. If you bat great, then first session of 284 is like second session 230.
3) Typically, in the second session of day match, the ball gets even more slower and low. It is very difficult to score. Only batsman will score against good spin bowling are the grafters like Chanderpaul. Thats the correct way to bat so that you can reach 180 (good bat, good bolwing) to 220 (great bat, bad bowling).
4) Remember, SL was not careful couple of years back in the try nation final against BD and they ended up 5/6 and some how with Murali's unbelievable batting, they could reach bangladesh target of 147. So, they also tried to hit like we did against WI instead grafting, thats why they were 5 for 6.

In BD history, only pilot, Nannu had the correct approach to bat for such a pitch. Bangladesh batting is good, but we need a grafter like Chanderpaul, Hooper, Miandad. Only person, I would see in the current crop, could be Mahmudullah, but he has a long way to go.