View Single Post
Old December 16, 2012, 11:37 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Views in Pakistan is changing ... Even though very slowly.
First of all, thank you for posting this. It is always good to see such things. That being said, there has always been a miniscule group of Pakistani intellectuals that has advocated coming clean and doing the right thing, so we've seen this before. They all seem to be connected to The Dawn in one way or another. Hamid Mir and my good friend Saadiya Ahmed come to mind right away.

As to what kind of impact if any such scholarly folks have in changing the typical public perception in that country is highly debatable. I don't share your optimism, as guarded as it is. As much as I'd love to see them do the right thing for their own sake, Pakistanis and what's left of their dysfunctional state has no real relevance in my life, to be honest. They're simply not relevant enough for me to support having diplomatic relations with them until they do those right things.

"Views in Pakistan" in that sense won't change until the real influencers, all directly connected to Pakistan's crimes against humanity and the Bangladeshi people in 1971, begin to come clean themselves. I don't see the Muslim League(s), the PPP, Jamaat-i-Islami, the Military-Industrial Complex, the Civil Service and the mainstream Civil Society with deep connections to the establishment taking any meaningful steps. Until and unless they do, public perception on 1971 generated though a carefully woven web of lies and misguidance won't change much either.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; December 17, 2012 at 12:33 AM..