View Single Post
Old September 23, 2009, 10:39 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

All eyes are now settled into Gavin Tonge.
This world really loves underdogs.

Quote:
So fluid and rhythmic was Tonge that you believed him when he said after taking a career-best 4 for 25 that he could've bowled 20 overs straight. "I was feeling good today, good to bowl 20 overs straight because it was my type of pitch and I was feeling it good," Tonge said. "Coming in the rhythm was perfect."

They were the first four ODI wickets of his career and it felt as if he did his spell a little disservice by talking of the pitch as if it were a love he had spent his entire life chasing after. "That was a very good track for fast bowling and cricket in general," he said. "Having seen the Pakistan bowlers earlier in the day there was a little bit of nip in it and a fair bit of carry, but it was a very, very good pitch for fast bowling."

Bowlers are rarely so glowing about the merits of a pitch, especially after they have done so well on it. The natural urge is to play up your own skills and play down the surface's assistance. Not so Tonge. "We're going to be playing on the same pitch again," he said, in anticipation of a second date. "Hopefully it will be behaving the same, so I will put the ball on the spot and let the pitch do the same. Hopefully I'll be doing the same thing again."
He seems upbeat but unfortunately it would be Australia they will play next. I do not see their batsmen pulling of a miracle no matter how good he bowls.