View Single Post
Old January 4, 2008, 04:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshin
But do you think secularism is really the real solution, if you look at the world, mainly the christian countries have these secular laws, but this has led to people forgetting thier Chrisitian faith and many are now athiests, if we have secular laws in Bangladesh, there is a strong possibility of people losing thier faith because of the changes that will be aroused in the society, I think this is because our rich culture and traditions will interfier with our religious beliefs, yes people will have the right of practicing or not practicing thier religion, but the majority of the people will rather 'not practice' thier faith, leading to confusion of religion and identity as I have shown the example of secular-Turkey today.
By the way I am not in favour of Sharia law in Bangladesh nor am I calling for Secularism in the country, but I think it is good to have balance in life, I mean what is the true meaning of this life today?

Either u have sharia law or you don have sharia law...how can there be a balance! wat exactly do u mean by balance.

A secular government shall never ask you to abolish your religion. Religion is completely about the person himself. No one can force it to you and no one can take it away from you.

Now assuming that u are living outside Bangladesh and in a western country. How would you feel if the only religious holiday they give you is Christmas holiday and they do not even regnize your Eid since they are extremely conservative. So u don get paid if u skip your work during Eid. Sharia law is not a solution to anything. I am a muslim and I am saying it. It will only create cultural devide.

The identity of a bengali women is her saree not her veil. Imagine now forcing a hindu or christian minority in Bangladesh to wear Burka's. A strict Sharia law takes away some very basic rights.

No law can ever promote wrong doing. So u can definately implement some ideas from Sharia and put it in your laws but that law must in no way supress the other minorities and cannot be called sharia or cannot be fought on court based on the Quranic text. In other words Secularism still.

I am just saying that there is no room for a balance. Its either this or that.