View Single Post
Old May 8, 2012, 08:29 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: An honest player; a trier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasibhussain
I remember once when Micheal Jordan (The all time greatest basket ball player in the world) was asked in an interview on what gets him going even after winning so many championships, he answered "continuous improvement". That is the motto for champions and that is also the motto for every common man making a living. So I see no reason where we can argue against the value of training.
That's beautiful. And true in every aspect of life.

Problem with Shakib saying he is number one and does not need to practice too much is that others in the team follow that pattern. They might not even like Shakib, but straight away they can point to Swift and say why isn't he doing these drills and we have to?

I know that Tamim does not practice too hard.. probably because he considers himself the best of the country. And herein lies the problem. If Shakib is the best bowler in the country and the second best batsman, and he doesn't practice, why should our supposedly best batsman in the country, Tamim, practice?

Never mind the fact Tamim and every single batsman in the country cannot even dream of three centuries in a row, even when in the best of forms. Often, I feel their lazy training habits come on to the field, where they are often reluctant to push ones on to twos, and unable to play long innings and score hundreds after getting big starts. Often the difference between Bangladesh and opponents is someone in opposition getting one big score, and our one losing concentration after scoring a fifty. In bowling, its equivalent is bowling a loose/boundary ball every over or two in the middle of excellent spells. The inability to stick to gameplans- when Mashrafee is bowling really tight at one end, Shahadat bowling short balls on a flat track and giving 8 runs per over. All come down to laziness, of the body and/or the mind.

Don't get me wrong. I, and many others here, probably won't be able to keep up for one whole week of Shakib's training. However, cricket is his job, not ours. So compare apples with apples. Compare Shakib with Gambhir, Brett Lee and Michael Vaughan, not with a non-cricketer's work ethic. I am sure Shakib's training regime isn't pathetic, but what Ian and the coaches ask for from him isn't overambitious at all.