View Single Post
Old June 2, 2009, 05:48 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Exclamation Rubel Hossain: an important point

a lot of people are saying that rubel needs to bulk up, and then he will be a 150 k bowler. i disagree. firstly, what do we mean by a 150 k bowler? hardly anyone averages that sort of pace, even in a short spell. so if we mean a bowler who can hit that pace at least once or twice a match, well, rubel may already be a "150 bowler". and in the likely event he's not, he dones't need to be. a 148 bowler is just about as quick as a 150 one.

but more to the point, rubel is the epitome of raw. he doens't need bulking up. look at ishant sharma. he is perhaps the most rail think pacer in recent memory, no bulk at all, yet he's pretty quick. rubel's physique is like mr universe compared to him. andrew symonds is bulky, yet a medium paced trundler. added bulk may actually slow rubel down.

rubel needs instead to improve/maintain fitness. work on variation, and line and length. he is someone we need in the test side, and to date, he's not ready yet.

i would make sure he's not over-exerted, make sure his diet and lifestyle are healthy (no genital warts please), and make sure his head is in the right place. everthing else seems to come naturally with him.

i would also invest in shahadat hossain, who can team up with rubel and mash to be a fearsome pace trio, and also try to fix rasel's game so he can return to his killer ODI/T20 form from 2007.

#OneTeam1Dream