View Single Post
Old April 10, 2012, 05:39 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
What do you all think about the Caretaker government? I for one find it deeply ironic that an argument is being posited that 'free and fair elections' cannot be held without a non-partisan caretaker government. If the major parties cannot be trusted with even holding an election, then how & why are they entrusted with shaping national policy?! Is it really 'free choice' if you have to choose between two parties that both use 'muscle and money power'?
I do think that a neutral body is necessary to hold free and fair election.

It's not a matter of trusting politicians....no politician is trusted anywhere in the world..they are all governed by laws, systems etc to keep away from corrupt practices...implementation of those are lacking in BD under any political Party in power.

A party may be the most trusted to uphold national interest, but if you give them a way to stay in power, they will take it, anywhere in the world. So for a country like Bangladesh, where every other organization can be manipulated by the government and the governments are shamelessly using all of their powers to influence the electoral system, it's mandatory that we have a neutral body and allow the other govt servants related to holding election, to function neutrally.

Allowing UN will bankrupt the country, as they will charge premium costs for the event. And UN is more corrupted than our government itself, and they get away with it more easily. I have been working in the election project of UN in Afghanistan, and I know how they manipulated the results to make someone win it. They even have immunity from being legally prosecuted in the country they are deployed. So, a big nooooo from my side for allowing UN... We had an excellent caretaker system, they may have minor flaws here and there, but that's the best solution for us.. You can, if you like, strengthen the caretaker govt, by changing how they are formed and limit their powers to holding free and fair election only.