View Single Post
Old September 24, 2009, 08:49 AM
Cricket Sage

abu
Few things you need to consider.

1. Reality and Past History: Good or Bad, traditionally the BCB Chairman is selected by the current govenment and from their own loyal party men. That doen't mean its always bad. Saber was selected and it worked fine. Others have debatable records. There is a positive also in envolving ruling partry. It gets more help and cooperation from the government. In my opinion, Koko's involvement, really helped our player developent. the players we see now in the national team, some of them come from the program where Koko played a very significant role in the background. btw that doesn't mean I like that guy, or I am saying he is a honest or nice guy. But we shouldn't ignore his contribution in cricket during that time.

2. How Jamai was selected and his Record: Jamali was also a political selection (selected by Army during 1-11 era). No different than the others. I haven't seen any past cricket related experience or Management skills outside his Army experience. And during his tenure I haven't seen anything signifincat change or really bold decisions that tells me he was better adminsitrator than his past collegues. The ICL debacle happend under his belt, and its not all players faults. BCB have to take some responsibility for that. Under his leadership, they took too long to fill up the (head) coach position. The u-19, team-a, and other development activities were mostly hibernating and ignored under his leadership (except last few months). I believe they fumbled handling the marketing contract under his leasdership also.

3. The current Selection: Reading Lotus Kamal's resume (in the newspaper), I have better feeling than what I used to have. I thought he was purely a politician Businesman, not relaizing that he is indeed educated in a very respectable field (Chartered Accountnt) and established his bussiness first and then joined Politics. Plus looks like he spent significant money (instead of stealing money from cricket) in this sports as a club promoter and a fan of this sports. At least he has some connettion with cricket. Plus his CA background can help providing more transparency in the financial side of BCB and make it hard stealing money or unnecessary spending.

4. Good or Bad selection: Now I don't know what is his real motive is. And also I heard few "not so good" things about his business practice (which is not uncommon for almost all sucessfull high profile businessman in Bangladesh). So I am in a "wait and see" kind of mode, before giving him unconditional support. He need to produce first. But if you ask me, I would rather have "Lotus Kamal" than "Amu" or "Tofail" for exmaple as a BCB chair. So I am kind of happy that atleast they didn't selected a career politician with no connetion with the sports or managemt experience.

5. My Take: So my take is, it cannot be any worse than, puppet President like Jamali, when his only criteria was he was from Army.

Last edited by Fazal; September 24, 2009 at 09:18 AM..