View Single Post
Old September 8, 2011, 01:54 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib Al-hassan

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=201687
=====================================
Stuart Law, much like anyone who would be associated to Bangladesh cricket for less than two months, was left surprised to see Shakib Al Hasan losing his job as Bangladesh captain.
But the Tigers' coach realised that it wasn't just the series loss to Zimbabwe that contributed to the change of guard at the top but a string of events that led to this situation.
“It was a surprise. It is very difficult to see my own reaction but inside I knew I was very surprised with the news. The cricket board have made a decision, we have got to run with it,” he said yesterday, after the national side completed their first fitness session since the end of the Zimbabwe tour, ahead of the West Indies series next month.
Law said that there was a “hypothetical” mention of what might happen if Shakib isn't the captain during the Zimbabwe tour but he didn't find any clear indication that the all-rounder would be sacked from his post.
“You have so many talks and so many discussions. [I am] new to the job, seeing how things work so it was never really mentioned this is what needs to be done.
“There were a lot of hypotheticals, if Shakib wasn't captain who would be captain, that sort of thing regarding injuries. Those were some of the discussions we've had. But this is a total surprise,” said Law.
But the former Australian cricketer confirmed that he wasn't consulted before Bangladesh Cricket Board took the quick call during Monday's meeting. It is often that the coach is asked for his opinion before such a big decision is made.
“I wasn't [consulted] but I was on leave. So I was uncontactable at the time. The board has made a decision not just on events in Zimbabwe but from what I understand from some other ongoing situations,” he said.
Law however was adamant that he had talked about the chief of delegations and selector sitting inside the dressing room during the Zimbabwe tour with the other players, but they didn't force him into taking any action. Rather, Law claims, he was surprised to see the two sitting within the confines of the players' refuge.
“It's not so much that I had a problem with it. I saw the players' reaction when things were being said.
“I'm different but it's the first time I've ever seen head of delegations and selectors in the dressing room for every part of the game and every minute of the day. I think the players need their sanctuary and it's the dressing room.
At the hotel, we're surrounded by press. At the dressing room, we're surrounded by other pressures other than what we have to deal with. The players need some space so that they can gather their thoughts and start planning to go out and play better cricket. Rather than be surrounded by pressure all day everyday. It's unfair in any book.
“It wasn't the fact that the players said, 'Come here, you have got to get them out'. I observed what was going on, I spoke to the players and they said, 'If you can get them out, maybe it'll be better for us.' It was a group decision.
“I have nothing against the guys that were in the dressing room. They have nothing but the best interests of the players at heart. They didn't realise their presence was putting a lot of pressure on them,” explained Law.
While he wouldn't have to deal with this issue for at least another year, Law had other major changes coming up, starting with the new captain, who Law believes could be any among six possible players. “There are a lot of good players, good minds and passion for the game and country. I think you could choose any one of six people to do that job,” said Law.
Shakib and Tamim, removed from their posts as there had been reports of indiscipline surrounding them and questions raised about their lack of involvement with their teammates but Law has a different opinion regarding the issue.
"I've observed that the Bangladesh dressing-room is no different than any other I've been involved in. Captain and vice-captain are basically the leaders of the group. They have the respect of the players and they dish out their respect as well.
"What you guys have been told and what is being reported is far from the truth about what's going on inside the dressing room. From what I've seen, they are a very disciplined bunch of boys. They enjoy a good time and they're allowed to. We're dealing with very young men in that dressing room and they should be given their chance to grow up," explained the Australian adding that Shakib has done good job as a captain

=============
I hope that the truth will come out. BCB made a stupid decision based on a junk report compiled by a moron.