View Single Post
Old February 21, 2012, 06:21 PM
Cricket Guru
Favorite Player: All the BD players

I see people are pointing out Junaid's weaknesses in ODIs. I agree that 23 average looks really bad, especially for a top order batsman but if you guys don't remember, Junaid had a really poor start to his ODI career. As you see in my old posts, he averaged a 13 around the time he started. So for him to move it from 13 to a 23 is actually not bad. Also his average is a lot higher at #3, which is a 28.81 in ODI's and a 32 in Tests.

He had a very solid year in 2010 where he averaged a 35.5 with a SR of a 75.4 with a century and four half centuries and in tests he had an average of a 34.66 with a century and three half centuries. Also scored all these runs in a very important position at #3. It was great to see that we finally had a solid #3 and he looked so much better then Aftab and Ash who were our previous #3's.

Unfortunately he had a poor World Cup but so did all our batsmen. What was the most disappointing was how he didn't take his chance in the Zimbabwe tour. SN had struggled at the #3 spot and Junaid had 2 chances to prove himself but didn't. Then in the BCB Cup and the WI A team tour he didn't score enough and was rightfully not taken for the WI and Pakistan tours.

Having said all that, we still have a glaring hole at #3. SN has been performing really poorly ever since he scored the 97 against Pakistan. Ash has shown he's also not the answer and then Jahurul has not looked good at all in the BPL. So I do believe he has a very good shot at getting a spot in the Asia Cup and cement his place at #3 once and for all.

I believe he does have what it takes to be a class batsman at this level. He's a big strong guy who is a clean hitter. The key for him is to learn how to use the middle gears more often. He either plays too quickly or too defensively. He needs to rotate the strike better so that he doesn't get bogged down and play an unnecessary shot. If he can do that then he can be a very classy #3.