View Single Post
Old November 5, 2013, 02:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
I think we're confusing ignorance of etiquette with civility here. Civility isn't really the issue. As someone who does go to international matches and doesn't stay confined inside the VIP box, I know most fans admire and appreciate good cricket from foreign teams and players. I hear a lot of "dekhsos!" all the time. Most are simply not familiar with the etiquette of taking that fondness to the next level. Having said that, I do believe that'll happen once our cricket culture matures a bit more, and more consistent wins get people interested in more nuanced aspects of the sport.
To be honest, there isn't much of a difference between etiquette and civility. But I do get your point: the Bangladeshi spectator might indeed appreciate or admire the efforts of an opponent, but may not have the knowledge to express said appreciation/admiration in the same way as is done in other parts of the world.

I still find it baffling, however, that people have big bucks to spend on match tickets, yet have no knowledge of basic etiquette. Perhaps I am expecting too much here. "Sorry", "please" and "thank you" might as well be non-existent in Bangla vocabulary, because I can't recall the last time I heard a Bangladeshi in Bangladesh use any of those words. That being the case, expecting applause for the opposition might be a bit of a stretch.

Perhaps there was isolated applause for Munro's 50 or Taylor's 50/100 in the last game. But if memory serves, not a single soul around me applauded. And when I watched the highlights on TV, I didn't hear much, if anything.

One reason I talk about civility, not just etiquette, is because I find there are far too many spectators who are all too willing to jeer their own team. That's just not on. You don't need to be schooled in etiquette to know that is wrong. I refer to the example I cited in my opening post: parents encouraging their young children to chant "bhua, bhua" just because Shakib and Tamim got out cheaply or Shafiul and Shuvo conceded too many. I don't think that's civil at all.