View Single Post
Old July 10, 2009, 12:38 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
Fazal, there are two ways you can handle an off-form player:

Option 1) Let him play himself back to form - e.g. Maravan Attapattu and Mark Waugh when they started out had really low scores but were persisted with.

Option 2) Let the player go away, work out the kinks in his game and then come back stronger. Ala Simon Katich or Viru Shewag or Danguly of late or Damien Martyn back in the days.

Both option obviously have pluses and minuses. In option 1, the player has no place to hide and is being constantly examined. However he has access to the top coaches and doesn't suffer the loss of confidence that comes with a drop.

In option 2, the player gets to work without pressure, take his time and take stock. This however assumes that said player has access to a top batting coach (like Kato had with a Bob Simpson or Ash has with Gani bhai).
I agree with your two option theory. However if your ask me, I would say option 1 will work with more "already accomplished experienced player" who is having some lean time. In my opinion option II should be used for still young unproven players who still haven't created a clear track record. I think trying these types of players with option 1 can further damage their career permanently. At some point fans and selectors will start tagging them a proven failure prematurely. Thats the risk we will take with these young players with option 1.

But then again its just one man's opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
In my opinion, Big Z should be persisted with. He gives us something at the top of the order that we otherwise sorely lack - the "power game". Mehrab, Mushy, Ash et al are puny. They cannot demolish a medium pacer or spinner by plunking a big front foot stride and just playing straight and through the line. This is what Z can - T20 or Test regardless and for our side, it's pretty unique - only Mash down the order can do something similar.
Looks like we have fundamental disagreement about the need of "power game" in TEST. I don't see that we really need to address "power game" issues in our TEST team ignoring other aspect first. Therefore from my point of view I don't see any value added by Junaid from that point of view over other players available in #3 slot.

Now if Juniad start adjusting to #3 slowly and start playing like a prototypical #3 and start scoring runs in a consistant basis and prove me wrong, the more power to junaid ... it will be a "plan well done" by the selectors and a great news for the team.

But until then, I will continue to question his selection at #3 as I am not convinced yet that he is a long term solution for our #3 slot. To me its a short term stop gap three opener solution to address our fragile openers. if Tamim-Imrul piar clicks, then there will be no need for three operner solution, we could easily go for a conventional #3 type players.

Last edited by Fazal; July 10, 2009 at 12:44 AM..