Thread: 200* vs 194
View Single Post
Old February 25, 2010, 04:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

and yet he only ever played in australia or england, other teams he played against, then WI India or SA were little more than minnows or that the bowlers had very little variety in those days. not to mention the pressure and analysis a modern batsman is subjected to.
or that he didn't face bowling of the likes of WI pace battery/pakistani bowling line-up of the 80's and 90's/aussie bowling of 70's, 90's and early 2000's/SA bowling of mid 90's and current. or that he didn't face murali at his home. the differences go on.

that's why I say that the greats from different era are incomparable.
Quote:
99.96 avg takes the cake.
that only says that he was head and shoulders above his contemporaries. but nobody doubted that in the first place ! who knows what a sachin, a viv or a sunny might have done in that era ?

btw, nasser hussain thinks sachin is the greatest ever.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cri...g-The-Don.html
NASSER HUSSAIN: Mighty Sachin Tendulkar even tops Lara, Ponting and The Don!

By Nasser Hussain Last updated at 1:42 AM on 25th February 2010

* Comments (0)
* Add to My Stories

I have never liked comparisons between great players, but after Wednesday’s incredible game it must be said — Sachin Tendulkar is the greatest batsman of all time.

Better than Brian Lara and Ricky Ponting, the other two great players of my era. Better than Sir Viv Richards, Sunil Gavaskar and Allan Border. And I would even say better than Sir Don Bradman himself.

Now he has the first double hundred in a one-day international — hitting 25 fours and three sixes as India beat South Africa by 153 runs — he has swung it for me.
Indian batsman Sachin Tendulkar

Little master: Record-breaker Tendulkar celebrates reaching his landmark
SACHIN BY NUMBERS

46 One-day international hundreds

47 Test hundreds

166 Test matches played

240 Sixes in all international cricket

442 One-day internationals

13,447 Test runs scored

17,598 one-day international runs

45.12 One-day international batting average

55.56 Test batting average

I played against Tendulkar on my first England tour, the Nehru Cup in India in 1989, and I could still see that excited boy in big pads in Gwalior.

That extraordinary drive and enthusiasm are what make Tendulkar so special. He has been playing international cricket for 20 years under the intense scrutiny being an Indian superstar brings, so it is remarkable he still loves holding a bat as much as ever.

Halfway through the Indian innings on Wednesday, Tendulkar was already on more than a hundred. It’s almost a given that he will reach three figures. But even he had not turned it into a double in a 50-over international before, and this was not against a lowly side but South Africa, one of the most formidable bowling attacks in the world.

There was no slogging — just pure, attacking strokeplay.

Tendulkar has gone back to being the fluent, almost flamboyant, batsman he used to be. In recent years his innings had become a bit mechanical, but I think he has remembered what made him great.

I interviewed Sachin for Sportsmail when he was touring England a couple of years ago — one of the highlights of my career since I stopped playing, and it was noticeable that he is not driven by money.
Brian Lara of West Indies
Former Australian Cricketer Sir Donald Bradman

Better than the rest: Tendulkar is better than Lara (left) and Bradman

He has become a very wealthy man, but that has been as a result of doing what he does best and enjoying it. It has not been the be all and end all for him.

What else is left for Tendulkar now? Well, it is sometimes said that he has not played enough match-winning innings on the really big occasion for India.

What better, then, than to score a hundred in the World Cup final against Australia — or maybe even England — on home soil this time next year.

That would be the full stop that would enable Tendulkar to ride off into the sunset with everything achieved in his career.

My admiration for him is total. To steal the nickname of a certain football coach who led Inter Milan against Chelsea on Wednesday, Sachin Tendulkar truly is The Special One.