View Single Post
Old May 6, 2013, 03:05 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shehwar
Having started to watch cricket in '91 I didn't really have the privilege to catch Imran's hay days so my opinion will probably be a little biased bit Waqar Younis IMO would be by far the most destructive and unstoppable bowler to have played cricket. I saw way too many spells by Younis where he pretty much got batsmen out at will with sheer unplayable pace and reverse swing. He was the king of the old ball and reverse swing and till today no one has mastered the Yorker the way he used to deliver. The much hyped Shoaib Akthtar had actually modelled himself on Waqar. I have seen Wasim and Waqar bowl out oppositions in test cricket by themselves when defending a small total! Matches in ODIs where oppositions were cruising with 6-8 wickets in hand with less than 25 odd to get at 4-5 rr and the two Ws will turn it on with Waqar usually taking the lead role in creating utter havoc. So yes in a nutshell has to be Waqar for me. Wasim might have been a wizard but Waqar had to be the most FEARsome bowler of all that I have witnessed. One match springs to mind, an ODI in '94-'95 with NewZealand requiring about 19 runs off 42 balls at one stage with 6 wickets in hand with two set batsmen at home. The two Ws comes back for their spell and boom! I miss fast bowling like that. Waqar had 6-30 in that match and the Kiwi batters who faced him that day still probably has nightmares. You guys might find it in YouTube but dunno if it will actually capture what went on that day. Ah well that's enough nostalgia for 2:45 am in the morning. Time to watch some highlights of our victory against Zim today. Thanks to Mo Bhai!
yes waqar was the most destructive i saw but imran apparently was also very quick in his pomp and could also reverse it and bowl conventional swing, also has a much better record overall across the different conditions. waqar has the much higher strike rate but poor records in some countries like australia and i think india. if their bowling is that close then their selection would then be based on other aspects of their game e.g. batting.