View Single Post
Old September 9, 2012, 12:07 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeesh
Early days for Ashwin, so cant compare with the other two. But he has what it takes-height, ability to turn, variation, and an action which is not exactly conventional. Another talented Indian spinner is Pragyan Ojha. Beautiful action, ability to generate sharp turn. Their biggest prospect was Piyush Chawla. But doubt he is as good as the other two.

Shakib's bowling has been on the decline in recent times. Former spin coach Salahuddin has blamed T20 cricket. He tries to bowl flatter and quicker through the air. Hope some time with Saqlain will revive his bowling a little. But even at his best Shakib isnt a destructive bowler who will rip opposition apart. He will probably take 3-4 wickets for 30 or 40 runs. Thats the way he is. But Enamul Jnr and Sunny in contrast are capable of big hauls. Both are aggressive attacking spinners. Richard McIness had predicted Enamul could end up becoming one of the best spinners in the World-and that after becoming the highest wicket taker of the Under 19 WC. Unfortunately he never developed. Still hopeful. With hard work our spinners can easily compete with the best in the world. Australia would be delighted to have a guy like Enam or one of the Sunny's. Their SLA's Michael Beer, Doherty are average compared to ours.
I agree to an extent about Shakib's bowling. I think his limited over bowling has suffered a little bit because he's been trying to tread a fine line between being aggressive and wicket-taking, while also being economical. (The objective is good but the results are mixed) However, I think he has the ability to transition to Tests quite well, where the emphasis is on wicket taking. He was playing loads of T20s last year as well but he still managed to take 5 wicket hauls against both the Windies and Pakistan!