View Single Post
Old February 2, 2013, 11:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReZ_1
Don't take me wrong... by mentioning females i was referring actually to those ones who expose themselves intentionally in front of men and public and provokes them to do such things. They themselves are not always the victim but can be the cause of it for other innocent females. Sorry for my bad interpretation in previous post..
Looks like we did NOT get you wrong. There was no incorrect interpretation of your post. It was exactly what you stated above that everyone was decrying. What is provoking in your opinion? Hair visible? Not wearing a burkha?

No matter what the women did, it DOES NOT give a man any license to sexually assault or attack a woman. You don't steal a car just because you see the keys in then ignition, do you?

Blaming women for sexual assault is implying that all men are sexual predators and are wired to become rapists and abusers. That men are violent mindless animals with no control over their basal instincts.

This blame the victim excuse is not limited to just our culture - it is just as prevalent elsewhere - east, west and the twain.

2012: the year when it became okay to blame victims of sexual assault

Quote:
It was the latest in a wave of examples of victim-blaming, a phenomenon that Christina Diamandopoulos, of the Rape Crisis charity, describes as the “myth that women are responsible for men’s sexual behaviour. From this stems the idea that what a woman wears, says, where she goes, or what she does can make her responsible for the crime committed against her.” The problem is compounded by common misconceptions, such as the idea that all rapists are strangers, who attack in dark alleys at night. In fact, Ms Diamandopoulos says, “most rape is committed by partners, ex-partners and men who are known to the woman”.
And if people step forward to claim that rape and sexual abuse do not happen with equal frequency as to other places, I will step forward and accuse you of either lying deliberately or being a vacuous entity. The only reason we hear less in Bangladesh because often women are ashamed to report any such incidence. In our cloistered and benighted culture, the women will of course be blamed and her future will be tarnished forever.