View Single Post
Old March 19, 2017, 08:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

This is how I see it, if you keep it simple that is, in order to chase a target of 200 runs on day 5, surviving alone or digging a hole in the crease will not let you win the match, no way in a thousand years. It is about scoring runs, the reason you are saying Shabbir is too aggressive or flash is because he is trying to exactly his job, that is to score runs.

The reason I keep saying he is fast becoming our main batsman is the simple fact that he counter -attacks the opposition. I don't know if it is youth or just stupidity yet, but he does have class though. The fact that he goes out there and goes after the opposition is so freaking vital for us, it can't be summed up in words. Doesn't matter if it is T20, ODI or Tests, he demoralizes the opposition, every team we played in the recent past knows if Shabbir is there he can win matches by himself, if he gets out they increase their chance of winning. We saw that more from NZ tour, whenever Shabbir was in the crease BD stood a chance, when he got out it was like you could switch the tv off. It is not only the fact that he scores runs quickly, there are just many other subtle factors that are not in your face. He has that aura about his batting. That's why I kept saying in that tour that it is not good to depend on Shabbir too much as well, we need other batsman to step up, but by bringing him up the order Haturu has just created a master stroke. He recognizes the very thing I recognized, that's why we have impact players like Soumya, Shabbir even Mosaddek dominating all the sides now, cause on their day they are match winners. In the coming days we will get an influx of them, for example Saifuddin can bowl 80-85 mph and hit big, we badly need someone at number 9 once Mash retires.

I am not here to just talk about their impact, it is all fine when they are the crease but it doesn't help us if they get out. What we need to talk about really is how do we lengthen their stay in the crease, not change players. Shabbir hasn't scored a century yet at the international level, gets out too many times between 40-60. How can we really make sure he continues after getting a start, that is what the coaching should focus on now, and someone like Tamim should coach these guys as well, how to really build an innings. Shabbir also gets out playing too many sweep shots, he keeps missing line of the ball and is off balance when he is playing that very shot, so he should either cut that out completely or perfect it.

Players like Soumya and Shabbir are like gold for us. They are here to stay.