View Single Post
Old March 22, 2016, 08:50 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
The fact that he never really gets out shows he has good surviving skills, that too when he comes to bat and the team needs him to score quick with no time to get set
And he manages to score when the field set and the bowling are very deffensive.
This makes me wonder how would he fare if he opened.
I think it is more likely that he will survive the first 6-8 overs and give us a flying start by taking full advantage of batting powerplay.
In ODIs, he was poor at #3 but has done very well at #4. He struggles with the new ball. Has a lot of difficulty when the ball swings. He isn't an opener or a #3. You can't just play anyone as an opener. You need a specific skill set to open. He can't bat at #3 in any format either. The more Mahmudullah sees the ball, the better he plays. He likes to play it late, and an older ball suits him.

In T20s, this finisher role is new. He spent a lot of time practicing some of the shots and is doing very well and feels comfortable in that role now. Instead of changing his role so soon again (quick chopping and changing is never a good idea, esp in the middle of a series), let him finish the tournament at #6. Later, we can try him at #5. Eventually, I want to see him play there in T20s.