View Single Post
Old April 25, 2009, 02:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

now that the KKR match has been washed out, we finally get an window where BC-ites would be a little more interested in this thread.

and of course, shaun's presence is a huge morale booster in my effort to steal time for this !

for the record, I'm posting the snapshots of the scorecard of the match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel Here
Ricky Ponting Vs Herschelle Gibbs.

==================================================
Now let's compare the two very similar performances from both teams,

Ponting's 164(105) @ 156.19
and
Gibbs 175(111) @ 157.65

Player.....Runs.....S.Rate....H.R.Score....QOTS(SR)....QOTS(Avg)....GCS(SR)....GCS(Avg)....Total Score

Ponting....164.....156.19......187..........18.89........ ..60.25.........17.4..........99.92.........383.46
H.Gibbs....175.....157.65.....200.22.......19.50......... 128.56.........21.1........110.92.........480.3
================================================== =====================
I would analyze the results for each data-point (i.e individual sub-heading) and try to justify them based on my understanding of cricket.

two points though,

point # 1
this system is intentionally open ended, IOW theretically, there is almost no limit to how much a batsman can score. so don't be offended by scores that read like 200 or 300 ... the problem is simply due to our familiarity with the "out of 100" system of scoring. if need be, we can always scale the score to some arbitarily fixed maximum although I'm not in favour of it. (more on this later in reply to T_E bhai's post)
point # 2
this particular match was an aberration in terms of run scored, we haven't seen the like of it before or since. so the scores are big. they will be much smaller in other matches.

a)Hit and Run Score (HRS)
(depends only upon runs scored and SR with 75% weightage given to runs scored)
RP : 187
HG : 200.22

Comments :
If we say that HRS measures the direct contribution of the batsman to the match, we see that the batsmen have comparable scores.
Gibbs scored 11 more runs than RP at a slightly higher SR.
No wonder he scores more than RP in HRS by about the same difference (~13)
-------------------------------

Quality of Opposition Team Score QOTS(SR)
RP : 18.89
HG: 19.50

Comments :
Both players have scored roughly the same. remember that this metric is measured by comparing the players SR with the SR of his team.

This almost equal score means that it was more or less equally difficult (or easy) for RP and GB to score against the opposition bowling. since both teams have very close run rates, we can immediately see that the system's result matches with the actual one.

(to be continued)