Thread: Fruit Trees
View Single Post
Old April 23, 2010, 06:32 AM
Street Cricketer

Default Fruit Trees (exotic or otherwise)

This summer I am hoping to grow some Mulberry (Morus Nigra) from seed as rootstock. By next year the plants will be big enough to take graft from a more mature plant - this way I could probably have fruit within the following year or two. I remember tasting mulberry when I was in Bangladesh - I can't remember the exact year but it was around 89 or 90. I think it goes by the name of toot (dood) phol in Bangla, although it very well could be the colloquial name for it. In persian it is known as the Shah Toot or something to that extent.

The downside is that over here the winters can be rather chilly so I probably won't be able to get the plants out in the garden until they have a healthy few summers behind them.

I had previously grown guava from shop bought fruits. It grew quite a bit within a few years before it died out when it was planted outside: I was in Bangladesh at that time and had entrusted the plant to a family friend.

I am lookign for more Bangladesh fruit trees that could be grown inside or in a greenhouse. There are so many different fruits that I can't remember the names of from childhood that I would love to grow. Does anyone share this fascination with fruit trees and exotic fruit trees growing in adverse conditions?

Last edited by Rahik; April 23, 2010 at 12:55 PM..