View Single Post
Old September 7, 2010, 06:56 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Rubcic comes in with new flavour
Staff Correspondent
Bangladesh football will taste the Croatian flavour with new head coach Robert Rubcic taking charge of the Asian Games football camp at the BKSP today.
Rubcic, scheduled to arrive at Dhaka early in the morning, will be officially introduced to the press in the afternoon. He will be heading for the BKSP to conduct the afternoon session. Rubcic’s arrival has enkindled hopes of football revival in Bangladesh.
Rubcic will the fifth foreign coach to get involved with the Bangladesh football in five years. With the insertion of Argentine Diego Cruciani in 2005, Bangladesh football first tried to attain the Latin flavour and Cruciani along with his trainer Ariel Coleman who provided some new concept for the footballers.
Cruciani guided Bangladesh to the final of the SAFF Championship and the players, for a little while, presented an impressive brand of football under the Argentine. But he also fell from the grace with the BFF officials and the players and he had to leave.
The old fashion coaching of India’s Naeemuddin (2006-07) failed to inspire the footballers and Edson Silva Dido (2008-09), the man from Brazil, came to Bangladesh again promising resurgence.
Dido in his short tenure, however, grabbed the headlines demanding a full freedom in his team selection with an emphasis on the young blood.
The Brazilian, however, failed to show any change in the one or two tournaments he joined and was ultimately sacked over difference of opinion with the federation.
Serbian Zoran Djordevic (2010) came in during the SA Games and guided the host to the coveted gold medal. But the Serbian stormed a controversy by misinterpreting a clause of his contract and demanded a long-term contract the football federation declined. The Serbian had to go just after three months.
Among these coaches, only Cruiciani could show a change in performance and a question arises about what Rubcic will accomplish.
Saiful Bari Titu, the ‘A’ licensee coach of the federation, has his own thoughts. ‘As far I know, the Croats love the innovative brand of football with attacking flavour. The style was initiated by the former Yugoslavs who differed from the traditional European touch. I think Rubcic will be trying to inject the attacking flavour with a solid defence into his players.’
Former national coach Shafikul Islam Manik likes the mental toughness of the Croatian football. ‘I observed the Croats play a brand of football that requires a lot of confidence. Our footballers are to some extent mentally fragile. I hope Rubcic will be able to build confidence in the players.’

http://www.newagebd.com/2010/sep/08/spt.html