View Single Post
Old August 11, 2012, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box
Default Why the Hamid Hassan Draft Makes Sense

From thestar.com:

By Ashish Bagai | Sat Aug 11 2012

Much has been said in light of Hamid Hassan's surprise draft by the Toronto Tyrants at the MLC. As a Tyrants supporter and well wisher, I for one am over the moon and excited to watch this fiery fast bowler in action at King City.

Having played against Hassan, I can vouch for his ability to steam roll any batting line up on his day. From my experiences batting against world class bowlers in the past, I put him up there alongside the best in the business.

Don't believe me? Let the stats do the talking. Here is where Hassan's T20 bowling career stands right this moment:

Matches Wickets Average Econ SR
T20I 8 14 12.14 5.82 12.5
T20 16 29 12.27 5.94 12.3

For those in doubt, a couple of his greatest successes in this format have actually come against very decent opposition. Here's a breakdown of his T20I bowling. He has impressed with the limited chances that he has had against India and South Africa, two of the best sides in the world. The sample size is small, yes, but there is no question about his ability.

Equally as important as his pace is the attitude that comes with it. Hassan is an ambassador of Afghan cricket and will be hungry to make a mark at the MLC, the world's greatest stage. He acts, talks and not to mention bowls like a fast bowler and I am confident he will turn out to be one of the best buys of the season.

Ashish Bagai was captain of the Canadian national cricket team until last year. He stepped down from the captaincy in May 2011, but remains a valuable member of the squad.