View Single Post
Old August 22, 2007, 03:09 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin
Thumbs up Iraqi Shia Uprising Trial Begins

Quote:
The trial of 15 aides to Saddam Hussein, the former Iraqi president, over their alleged role in the suppression of a Shia uprising in 1991, has opened in Baghdad.

Among those being tried is Ali Hassan al-Majid, Saddam's cousin, who has already been sentenced to death having been found guilty of genocide and crimes against humanity.

The trial opened on Tuesday, and is the third to be held by the Iraqi High Tribunal, an Iraqi court set up with US assistance to examine crimes committed by Saddam's government.

Prosecutors say that up to 100,000 Shias were killed when Saddam's military crushed the uprising.

It was launched by deserting soldiers retreating from their defeat in Kuwait in the first Gulf war and local citizens.

"I am the fighter Ali Hassan al-Majid," he said when Judge Mohammed al-Khalifah al-Oreibi asked him to introduce himself after he entered the dock, supported by a cane.

Witness

In his opening statement, the chief prosecutor accused Majid of cold-blooded executions.

"The helicopters were bombing the cities and houses of people. Prisoners captured were killed," said the prosecutor, who cannot be named for security reasons.

The first witness, Raybath Jabbar Risan, a 65-year-old former soldier, said his village in Basra province had been occupied by Saddam's elite Republican Guard.

"Between March 13 and 17 of 1991 the Republican Guards occupied our village in Basra and struck it with artillery and mortar fire.

"My cousin was killed and nephew wounded. My brother's house was burned. I escaped with my family" ...

Link: http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...536EE5071D.htm
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)