View Single Post
Old December 14, 2004, 01:23 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Ganesh
Quote:
Originally posted by crickethorizon
our current frustration in players/fans.. results not only from the failures.. but also from the negative attitute by the rest of the world not to tolerate the failure!!

Edited on, December 13, 2004, 3:20 PM GMT, by crickethorizon.
I don't agree with this sentiment. No doubt, rest of the world has been hitting out Bangladesh. That is not because they hate. People remember Lanka and Zimbabwe. Lankans of 80s and Zimbabwe of 90s showed more character than Bangladesh so far has. I am really sorry to say that. I hope people don't get annoyed by an Indian criticising Bangladeshi cricket. I don't mean to p**s of people out here. I am trying to state my mind clearly.

Zimbabwe have gone down in the last 2 years due to political turmoil though. All the same when Murray Goodwin, Neil Johnson, Andy Flower, Campbell, Grant Flower, Heath Streak and Paul Strang were together in late 90s, they did look pretty darn good. They beat Pakistan and India in odd Tests. Andy Flower was a class batsman. Murray Goodwin was pretty good too. Heath Streak has 200 wickets at avg of 27. Too bad many of their careers have been cut short due to race politics. Sri Lanka of 80s produced Ranatunga, 2 Ratnayakes, Aravinda, Mendia and Dias. Fringe players in both SL of 80s and Zim of 90s were pretty ordinary. Bangladesh's record is worse than the other two. May be they are playing way too much cricket and repeated losses is killing their confidence. May be they got their test status 3-4 years earlier. They shouldn't be stripped of the status at this stage now that they have been there and know what it takes. Another 3-4 years, they may just get better with new crop learning from the mistakes of oldies. There is one area I am really p**sed with Bangladesh. That is their fielding. I feel no amount of criricism is enough for Bangladeshi fielding.

Maybe Zim and SL showed a lot of character, but I believe our situation is different. Firstly, there's too much cricket going on, yes we are playing too much, but thats what u gotta do as a test nation these days. Secondly, perhaps we did get test status a little too early, but things weren't really moving forward for our cricket before test status. Only now is the money rolling in. Thirdly, BD crowds are unforgiving, threatening, spontaneous bunch and puts players under a lotta pressure when they play at home. Honestly, it'll take no fewer than 10 years for us to win our first test match (i still don't think we'll beat zimbabwe), but its'll be worth the wait. 10 years is alright for me.

Yo Ganesh. U are one awsum indian fan. Good opinions, objective.