View Single Post
Old April 7, 2013, 05:17 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

The atheism of certain bloggers was yanked into the limelight for the political purpose of equating Shahbagh with atheism and subsequently, Islamism with Islam. In retrospect, they have not only succeeded in garnering support amongst the highly organized Islamist crowd on the Islamist "left" (JI/Shibir) and the Islamist "right" (Kowmi Madrassa), but also others who do not share their deviant and subversive views on Islam, deviant with regards to the traditional Sunni Madhabs.

The issue of extrapolating a unifying national narrative from seeking justice for Razakars doesn't mitigate national development. They are NOT mutually exclusive or an either-or proposition. That type of false proposition is dumb and only the dumber fall into its dumbness.

In fact, such a unifying narrative can accelerate national development once developed and utilized correctly. Now such unifying national narrative through justice may not be important to some, but it sure is to the overwhelming majority of the people in this country as evidenced by their vote.

There is no statute of limitation when it comes to such crimes even if they occurred 400 and not just the "prehistoric" 40 years ago as some like to whine about here. I want to see justice done for my family and those of my friends who have died, fought for, and survived the crimes against humanity and the Bangladeshi people.

I stated my reservations about Shahbagh in my blog HERE and none of my positions have changed. The situation we see ourselves facing now is not a political but a law and order issue which has everything to do with the current government's unwillingness, inability and despicable incompetence to nip this in the bud when they had the chance.

I am not in favor of censoring or banning any type of politics and have no issues with anyone gathering peacefully to have their voices heard, irrespective of whether or not I side with their opinions and demands. Why? Because I believe in the Spirit of '71 codified by the 4 core values of our Constitution as the direct reflection of the historic will of our VICTORIOUS people. But breaking the law under the guise of political demands while terrorizing the public and undermining the state simply cannot be tolerated by any self respecting government. Those people, regardless of party affiliation, are criminals and need to be brought under the purview of the law, including our anti-terrorism laws that define enemy combatants.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; April 7, 2013 at 08:11 AM..