View Single Post
Old October 20, 2012, 02:07 AM
Administrator

Default A Lunch with Coach Richard McInnis

I had been in communication with Richard McInnis since his return to Bangladesh and was in the process of initiating an interview for BanglaCricket. As I was going to be in Dhaka, I thought I should try to set see if I could do the interview face to face. I then realized that it might be better to start with an informal chat, getting Richard to know more intimately BanglaCricket and its members and for us to open up a friendly long-term channel of communication. Richard is with us for the long haul.

We were initially chatting about having coffee and had arranged to meet at North End Coffee at Baridhara but then I decided to see if we could meet for lunch, as that would allow us more time to chat. Richard readily agreed and suggested the recently opened crepe place Crepe-au-Lait in Gulshan 2. He had not been there before but had heard good things about it. And so it was decided.

I had also asked RabZ and SNR to join us for lunch. Richard was going to finish his training session by 12/12:30 and so would reach the restaurant from Mirpur around 1:30 or so. RabZ picked me up from my office and we headed to the restaurant. The restaurant was set back at the end of Road 58, shares the house with several other restaurants, and specialize grocery, the London Sausage House.

The restaurant itself was on the small side with perhaps about 20 tables. The kitchen was visible to all patrons begin glass windows and we could see the kitchen staff work on their orders. I was starving and so Rabz and I decided to split a crepe while we waited for the others to arrive. We chose the roast beef crepe and it was outstandingly good. Very authentic and both the roast beef and cheese of the highest quality. Sohel arrive soon after and we waited for Richard to join us.

And soon he did. We made the obligatory introductions and sat down to our chat. It has been quite a few days since and my memory is starting to get fuzzy. We did talk about a wide array of things and I would like RabZ and Sohel to chime in and add to this story.

One of the first things we asked him was what did see different from his last stint in Bangladesh. That brought a wry smile to his face and he said “two things”. We have a new building and the technique of players is slightly better.

We spoke about why our players seem to be stuck on a plateau and what he looks for in player. Richard spoke about character and the ability to learn. You have to want to win and you have to be able to learn. Shakib was discussed obviously as the one who has this immense desire to win and no prizes as to whom we touched upon as not having the ability to learn.

We spoke about his current training initiatives, a day in the life of Richard. We talked about selectors and selectoral qualifications and interference. We spoke about the board. We spoke about the other Richard and the board. Incidentally, the two Richards work well together and have the same philosophy – tough love. We spoke about many of the players he has personally worked with. I will let the others chime in and add details.

I did ask him what brought him back. He said, because he wanted to make a difference.

And with that, I stop for now and let the others fill in more.

More Pictures

Pictures taken by RabZ