View Single Post
Old January 30, 2012, 10:19 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstlane
Not 'lame' at all. IPL may not be the sole reason but it’s one of the main reasons. BCCI's first priority is IPL now whereas for CA its still the test cricket. BBL took place in parallel with the aus-india test series. None of the test players complained. Can you imagine the same happening in India? Current & previous Australian captains deciding not to play any form of T20 also sends a message across.
The excessive emphasize on IPL or short form cricket caused other long term damages to longer version cricket in India- IPL is played on slow, low batting pitches for crowd pleasing because more runs mean more crowd. As a result Indian batsmen (specially the younger ones) are so vulnerable while playing in the bowling friendly conditions. Remember how Indian young, explosive batting stars failed in the year IPL moved to South Africa and also in t20 world cup in England?
And there is that obvious money factor. Performing young cricketers are brought into IPL at early stages of their career. The bling blang of money shifts their main focus from playing test cricket for their country to attracting higher bid in next year’s auction.
I hate that now-a-days every single of our series starts with a t20 match. This has to interrupt the preparation for the test matches. T20s should be played at the end of the series (to give the players and fans a chance to recover from the thrashing they just took in the test matches.)

So yeah, IPL (the who runs it) is to blame, unlike BBL.
Good post firstlane and I hear what you're saying. So BCCI should be at fault here. I would say there are much deeper problems however then just the IPL.

The pitches and the grassroots level are to be blamed. That's really the main problem. The Indians after all these years continue to look so amateurish against the short and moving balls. It just shows that BCCI doesn't care about addressing this issue at all. If they want to improve in all parts of the game then the pitches have got to change. I mean look at how bad India did even in the shorter formats of the game in England. Also the batsmen need to taught at an earlier stage of how to play different types of pace. So that in my opinion should be the main focus for BCCI.