View Single Post
Old July 19, 2013, 08:47 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
Sounds like its a matter of him advertising himself to get back in the popularity charts. Maybe he should take up commentating. Frankly when I started understanding and following cricket in the 90s as a 13 year old, I wouldnt have known much about players like Ravi Shastri, Srinivas Venkataraghavan, Tony Greig, or even Michael Holding maybe. Them commentating or being on screen in a match all the time after their retirement brings to the forefront so much of their past. For that matter we dont talk about Colin Cowdrey, Abdul Qadir or Andy Roberts much do we?
that's true we don't talk about those players much though i'd expect over in the england that cowdrey is talked about more often. but the difference between abdul qadir, andy roberts and even colin cowdrey is that they're stats don't match up with the top echelon of greats, donald's do, not only on a basic level but at an in depth level to.

qadir was one of the great leggies but he's not in the league of other top spinners like warne, murali, o'reilly, grimmett etc. same for cowdrey, isn't at that top echelon, although still a very well respected batsman and also andy roberts. actually andy roberts is one of my favourite fast bowlers of all time, it's true we don't talk about him very often (though i'm always thinking of him) but it's understandable he isn't at the forefront as his stats don't stack up with other greats. same with walsh, one of my all time favourite fast bowlers but just didn't have the same sort of output to match it with the very top echelon greats.

donald however has very comparable stats to any of the greats.