View Single Post
Old March 24, 2020, 02:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
sorry for the dumb question:

Does virus really kill people or is it the inability of your immune system to fight it off? From what I understand of the HIV virus: is that you don't die from HIV but your immune system gets so weak trying to fight the HIV before it's too late that you end up dying from something else like common cold or fever. Is it possible that you get a virus so deadly that you have a perfectly healthy person, doesn't smoke, doesn't drink alcohol and is in great health and leads a very healthy and active lifestyle but all of a sudden gets attacked by that deadly virus and suddenly dies(within a certain time frame like some weeks or months after contracting the virus)? is that common? or is there more to it?
I am not sure sure what you trying to get at. It's not a dumb question. Your question is a degree in cell biology. Regardless of the different pathophysilogy of a virus replication in host, I would not say that the virus itself wasn't the cause of death.

The cause of death would be from Acute REspiratory distress Syndrome/REspiratory failure. Sure many things can cause this but we know this virus can cause it. Most ppl infected with COVID-19 wouldn't be in this state if they didn't get the infection if that makes any sense.

Anyways, covid-19 causes ARDS by taking over host cells releasing immunological markers that in turn causes your body to release all sorts of immunological response causing impaired gas exchange in your lung. So yes it can happen to an otherwise healthy young person.

If you want to get into nitty gritty details, there is a nice 50 mins youtube video. I don't think you would get any better explanation. This is a whole cell biology course.