View Single Post
Old August 10, 2004, 12:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Default THE CRYING GAME

Aug 10 2004
Faria joins blub club
By Nick Webster

WHEN Faria Alam's tears flowed during last night's TV interview, the former FA secretary joined an elite club of screen blubbers.

There's been many a celeb who has turned on the waterworks in front of the cameras. Some do it because they're sad, some weep through happiness, excitement, embarrassment or even frustration.

BAWL GIRL: Faria weeps

Hollywood stars, such as Gwyneth Paltrow, don't need a reason. They are expected to bawl during tedious gong acceptance speeches to keep viewers awake.

Faria cried over her affair with Sven Goran Eriksson. But the £500,000 she's getting for selling her story should put the smile back on her face. Here are some other famous tear-stained faces from our screens:

PRINCESS DIANA

WHAT HAPPENED

Tears brimming, the princess talked about her husband''s infidelity with Camilla Parker Bowles in a 1995 interview for Panorama.

WHAT WAS SAID

"There were three of us in this marriage so it was a bit crowded."

REACTION

Diana won the PR war making her the country's Queen of Hearts.

TEARS OUT OF 10: 9

GWYNETH PALTROW

WHAT HAPPENED

Shakespeare in Love star sobbed her way through a rambling Oscar acceptance speech in 1999.

WHAT WAS SAID

"I would not have been able to play this role had I not understood love of a tremendous magnitude."

REACTION

Disbelief. Deluge of water from eyes made her a laughing stock.

TEARS OUT OF 10: 3

MONICA LEWINSKY

WHAT HAPPENED

Broke down during an interview as she admitted contemplating suicide over her affair with Bill Clinton.

WHAT WAS SAID

"People have no idea about what this has done. It was so destructive."

REACTION

Weeping began to rehabilitate her in eyes of American public.

TEARS OUT OF 10: 6

CHERIE BLAIR

WHAT HAPPENED

Tearfully admitted it was a mistake to use fraudster Peter Foster to handle a £525,000 property deal.

WHAT WAS SAID

"I'm not a superwoman. I'm juggling a lot of balls in the air and sometimes some get dropped."

REACTION

Opinion divided on whether tears were genuine or New Labour spin.

TEARS OUT OF 10: 5

BRITNEY SPEARS

WHAT HAPPENED

Tears streamed down her cheeks as she relived the break-up with Justin Timberlake on live TV.

WHAT WAS SAID

"It was pretty rough. He was such a great person. Oh my gosh. I''m embarrassed. Can we stop?"

REACTION

It went well until she wed Jason Alexander - for two days.

TEARS OUT OF 10: 6

DAVID BLAINE

WHAT HAPPENED

Stepping out of his perspex box after 44 days of self-imposed starvation, the illusionist wept uncontrollably.

WHAT WAS SAID

"It has been one of the most important experiences of my life."

REACTION

Most thought he was publicity-seeking nutter before the tears, which only added to that impression.

[Edited on 11-8-2004 by rassel]