View Single Post
Old April 4, 2012, 08:12 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: MS.Dhoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstlane
Not true. If allowed franchises would definitely go for big name internationals over uncapped locals. How many newcomers and ex-nationals shine compare to internationals and current nationals? Not many, may be a quarter of all. No way India has enough local players for all 10 franchises of the same standard to match internationals. No country has. Franchises play 7 locals because they have to. And many of them earn hefty amount of money even after showing poorer form than internationals. IPL enjoys its current status because of international players. Even Indian viewers wouldn’t watch the matches if only local players played. How many Indians go to the stadium when India’s best 36 players play among themselves (I think its called Challenger trophy)?

And all these talk about IPL preparing the youngsters for international cricket is not quite right either. It does help but you can’t say IPL is the only reason Indian cricket rose recently. Their cricket was on the rise since Gaunguly’s time. Franchises pick those young locals because they have done well in domestics. IPL is just a money machine anyway. And you are right- India is not Bangladesh. They don’t need to depend on just IPL to groom their youngsters. India get to play lot more international cricket and their domestic cricket is the strongest in subcontinent. So from an Indian’s point of view its great- young Indians earning truckload of money but as an International viewer I like to watch big performers in action.
You have misunderstood the point I was making, When I said India has too many players to ignore, it means there are simply too many players will be left out if there is no foreign cap. It means franchise as you mentioned will prefer Internationals than local players. That is the point I was making. Indians watch IPL because Indian players playing with Internationals not the other way around. If you arrange a match between Australia vs England (international match) in India would that gather the crowds the IPL is pulling? no I don't think so. Did you watched How many world cup games played in empty stadiums.

Secondly its true IPL is not needed to groom youngsters but a platform for youngsters to show their mettle up against the best in business. Stuffing too many international will deny a chance for the local boy which no country would like.

I can understand your feeling as International viewer to watch lot of International players in action but the league is a compromise for local and International viewer. You can't satisfy both of them 100%.

BPL also should follow the same path. IPL may seem money machine for the viewers outside but its an option for Indian boys as lot of my younger countrymen are choosing Cricket as career, a new trend (usually only rich choose them as career because of financial input needed over a period of time).

IPL is not given International window, will never be, so the current model is good for IPL.