View Single Post
Old March 13, 2011, 01:37 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Not selectors, although they have their own issues, but the coach. Abir has been at the receiving end of step-motherly treatment since training camp with separate, less supervised net sessions and all. There would be a reckoning after the World Cup and I for one would be happy see Sid and the chief selector go. I just pray we won't replace them with worse losers and alga matobbors.

As far as the chief selector is concerned, if you're susceptible to lobbying, can't tell s*it from s*inola when it comes to basic ability partially because you were crap as a player, don't even bother to go to domestic games, can't qualitatively contextualize the stats in the first place and then you dishonestly use them to "justify" your selection, you DON'T select the best guys out there, guys with ability including the ability to learn and apply their talent in the middle beyond the nets. Therefore, once you create such holes, we have no option other than trying to plug those holes with better players.

I hope we find the right group we can stick with soon, but before that happens we have the find the right guys who can form such a group.
I am gonna disagree with you here. There is no nepotism here. Each coach has their favorites, right or wrong, but the HC should have a say in what type of player they want. I think Siddons is very loyal to his core, sometimes to a fault, but you have to commend someone for their conviction. But, this core is his and he got them very early in their career, so he wants his product on the field.There is another dynamic in play here. Siddons from the onset was dead set on doing away with the old declining veterans ( HaBa, Jo..etc ). Rightly so. They had nothing left to give. He did that and some of them in turn bi**ch about him at every turn in the media. Also, the younger generation of the ICL crew did themselves no favor by quitting, and Siddons probably doesn't want them around. SN was a defector. So, with a clean slate JS picked his core, worked with them, and here we are. Rock was always one of his guys. SN was one of the guys who had the potential to be good. He is one of the few capable of playing longer innings despite his huge technical faults. But, he left. Lets not forget that.