View Single Post
Old March 6, 2013, 01:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
What the newspapers meant to say is that GB is a statutory public authority, as the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court declared that Grameen Bank is a statutory public authority and Dr. Yunus is a public servant back in 2011 after Dr. Yunus brought a writ petition against the Government of Bangladesh.

Anyway, I think I partly answered your question about GB's legal status here.

What I would add to that is, the "3%" is a misnomer. The fact that GB claims that the Government owns 3% is itself a violation of their governing ordinance as section 7 of the Ordinance states that the Government owns 25% of the share capital and the Bank 75%. Furthermore, and very importantly, it is very clear from this section and its legislative history (before the Bank was allowed 40% share and the Govt. 60% share) that the Government can simply amend the Ordinance to change the ratio of the share capital. It's a key difference form an ordinary articles of association.
Thanks for insight. This effectively means that the govt can "nationalize" the bank by increasing their share, whenever they want to.

BTW in reference to your link, cricket_pagol (me) is not the same as CricketpagolChele