View Single Post
Old March 16, 2011, 01:25 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
Kabir,

You're harping on his past shortcomings and, perhaps, overlooking a touch his present improvements which is staggering in BD context. I dawat you to watch his batting against England again and this time with an analytical eye. I hope you will be massively impressed with the vast improvement Imrul has made so far with his batting.
I didn't question any of his improvements. I just pointed out some of those things that he is yet to master. I'm extremely satisfied with the way he improved, and believe he can do more. So I'll come to your dawat without any mishti

Quote:
That knock against England under tremendous pressure the best I have seen from any BD batsman. I cant reiterate this more. Imrul's temperament, application, willingness to fight, defence, selection and proper execution of shots, single mindedness and the contagious confidence he exhibited was nothing short than a batting MASTERCLASS.
Not sure if there's anything I said which we disagree on here. Can you point me to something I said that negated this?

Quote:
If this was a Lara or a Tendulkar, I promise you, the tv pundits would have gone bonkers. The English bowlers didn't even have a sniff of getting his wicket. Thats how well Imrul batted that day. When he defended he middled it and when went for shots it found the sweet part of his bat with precision. No streaky edges whatsoever.
It wasn't chanceless against Netherlands, or was it England. Sorry can't recall, but one of those games he did edge to the keeper and the keeper couldn't collect it.

Quote:
The way he 'pushed' Shahzad straight down the ground for a FOUR was pure poetry in motion -to put in the style of an oft-repeating beyond boredom ShamChow.
I love that shot. But just like the one chance he gave for his wicket, we can't dwell on one poetic shot. That shot was indeed beautiful to watch. The coordination was exquisite. I haven't seen very many shots from him of that type - so I would say lets hold off on it until we see him such poetic shots regularly.

Quote:
This thread was to celebrate Imruls ultra professional batting performance, especially, in a Bangladesh cricket context. Of course, there will always be room for improvements. There will also be future failures. He might get out for a golden duck in the next outing but what he has acomplished here will always stick in my mind.
I apologize then - I shouldn't have pointed out a few things where he can improve. Although, there's nothing ultra professional about his batting performance. He batted with a head on top of his shoulder, which is what batsmen are supposed to do. He didn't choke under tremendous pressure - which is why I'm signing so much for him. He gets kudos for whatever he does...pointing out his limitations take NOTHING away from that performance during these matches.