View Single Post
Old October 19, 2008, 12:41 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
I fully support the defensive strategy that BD team management came up with and implementing in the on going series. (Block, block and block and make opponents tired, may be they will not concentrate while batting)

NZ:
1) Unproven batting lineup.
2) Not fimiliar with sub-continent conditions (hot and humid).
3) Jury is still out on able to play the spin.

Knowing this, I think this the defensive strategy worked perfectly.
Absolutely right in spotting the strategy.
We have seen the team trying to do it before, but they couldn't do it. Most of their fate was like Rajin. Block, Block, Block and when you are set & expected to push the RR, you get out. So a bit of ability has also be added to the stratey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
However, in the near two future series the strategy may not work at all.

In unfavorable condition like SA, this defensive strategy will fail. The pitches will certainly be different, and local bowlers will eat the team alive if this defensive strategy is continued there.
The ability to defend is one of the key in test cricket in any kind of surface. Even if you can win many in this approach but you can deny victory. I think, if they can keep the strategy alive even in SA they can do much better than before.

To have victory, they will need to add some agression with the defensive strategy. I'm sure they have enough aggressive attitude to unleash if needed in match situation. But I kind of like this defensive attitude that they have shown with some consistency now. I'm happy that they didn't get impatient too quick.