View Single Post
Old June 7, 2012, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
This is a very good appointment. Richard and I have chatted a few times about Bangladesh Cricket and his return is indeed very welcome.

What's interesting is that the things he spoke about in the matrix article (effectively identifying the issues in Bangladesh cricket) are still uncorrected after 8 years. This to me would be his starting point and ensure that the CULTURE of cricket changes forever and for the best. It really is time for the blame game and excuse culture to stop so BD cricket can flourish and not keep falling backwards after false dawns.

As with any changes that he, or the new head coach, bring in, the players have to "buy in" to those changes. Firstly, they have to not complain about them to board members and accept that professional coaches know what they are doing.

IMO the thing that destroys progress more than anything else is when players have too much power and can undermine what a coach is trying to achieve.

It looks like all the jigsaw pieces have fallen into place, It is now down to the players themselves to make the difference.
Here's a key quote from the article. And you've also talked about it till you're blue in the face.

Quote:
It is all about accountability. If a players say that his balance when batting is poor, and 6 months later his balance is still poor, then I have to ask questions. Initially of myself: was what was I doing to help him? Secondly of the player: did he do the work to improve that area? If he didn't do the work, then you can question his desire to actually get better. Maybe he is happy with his standard. On the other hand, if I could see the players was making an effort, than I need to try a different technique to help him. Hopefully I would have noticed a lack of progress earlier than 6 months.