View Single Post
Old March 12, 2011, 08:52 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Buzz Lightyear

It happens in western countries too, and I am not blaming bangladesh. Whereas in the west people call for heads to roll after an extended period of poor showing relative to past performances we call for heads to roll even after wins-as the saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Indeed after the first match many people called for shafiul's head-now look at the results. Head rollign is not the only option for one poor performance.

I am not attacking anyone or anyone's opinions however I do think we should have more patience. Gary Kirsten is a good coach but his role in a team like India's will be different to Ian, Julien and Jamie's role with bangladesh.

Our infrastructure regarding grounds at the grass roots level is quite poor-that is not our fault, but now that we have test status we have to concentrate more at the grass roots level to allow the next generation of bangladeshi cricketer's the opportunity to develop. Street cricket is good but we also need grounds available for kids to develop from an early age, batting on different tracks and even pacy artificial wickets.

The question always arises how NZ in the past has performed beyond expectation despite their small population-even at under 14-15s levels they have turf pitches, bowling machines and indoor facilities for the players at district level. Younger kids in bangladesh do not have access to such large fields and facilities-it is to be expected we will develop slightly slower. What is also important to mention is that the other nations over the years have progressed so much in cricket with the advent of 20-20(just the power hitting component) that Bangladesh will appear to have more deficiencies than they actually do as an 11 year old fledgeling test nation.

We cannot expect our player pools to match pakistan, england, india, aust etc We need to have patience, stick with the players. The coaches see things in the nets which we don't see, deficiencies in certain palyers which we don't see. Ashraful had come in for mahmudullah and his perfromance was no surpise-he averages in the 20s in first class level as well. Indeed replacement is often not the solution but asssisting and working through the players' problems over the years is the way to go. It will take years, one can't expect a drastic change over the course of a couple of years. Against the likes of Roach and co Junaid was the best batsman and I don't think many other batsmen outside the eleven have this extra factor.

I think it is a bit rich of the criticism that's coming especially from the like of Mr Khaled Mahmud or Raquibul Hasan Sr who would be lucky to play club level in australia, the 58 was dismal no doubt, but Bangladesh isn't the only team, better teams have had their off days and scored lower. It takes 10 good balls to dismiss a team and unfortunately for bangladesh they faced about 5 within the first 15 overs against the West Indies.

Last edited by mar umpire; March 12, 2011 at 09:01 PM..