View Single Post
Old March 21, 2011, 11:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
Shafiul and Nazmul are the only two squad members who can bowl this ball. Nazmul never got selected and Shafiul wasn't confident enough to bowl it at the WC despite bowling it well in practice. He stuck to his regular two other slower balls we worked on.

I cannot force people to bowl the butterfly and the bowlers decide when it's right to try it if they wish.

And if your a*** reacts like a butterfly delivery as you claim I suggest you see a doctor immediately.
Ian, I would like to apologize for the BC member who made that comment. I guess some people are frustrated and are taking that out on who ever. But let me clear something out. I am not sure if you read my thread opening message (which was from Dec 2nd) but my real concern was the execution of basics during the match. Whether that was a failure due to the inability of a particular bowler or failure of a coach was the question that was lurking in my head around that time (Zim series). But since then my personal view about your positive effect on our fast bowlers has grown exponentially, with or without the BUTTERFLY ball.

My observation from this WC suggest that at times Shafiul bowled few notches beyond what he looked to be capable of before your arrival but also failed to execute doing the simple basic stuff against 2 big oppositions, can you please tell us why? Is he not mentally strong given his tender age? Or is there something else?

The biggest improvement I see is Rubel Hossain. Before you joined our team, I thought he would be just a “what if” fast bowler. He had good pace and was very nippy due to his slingy action but erratic most of the time. But since NZ series, there’s a stark improvement in his line and length and has been pretty consistent. Unlike Shafiul, he didn’t get his 15 mins of glory because of the stupendous bowling performances Shafiul displayed in 2 matches, but I am sure the improvement tracking curve for Rubel is far consistent than anyone in the team. I think Rubel is a type of bowler who will be always tough to get away from irrespective of the pitch condition if he can get his line and length right and so far he has done that since your presence.

But what I see is missing from either of the bowlers is the ability to cut the ball sharply in either direction. I know our pitches are not tailor made for fast bowlers but if bowlers such as Mpofu of Zim and Tsotsobe of SA and Sammy and Roach of WI were able to extract that extra bit of bounce and darted the ball around, why can’t ours? I know this may not be the right thread for that question but since we are on topic, I thought I’d ask.

Last edited by betaar; March 21, 2011 at 11:06 AM..