View Single Post
Old March 21, 2014, 11:18 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Even though the batsman failed miserably I think the Hongkong game was close enough to be won by BD and i would blame Mushy and his tactics for this loss also

Mushy needs to get the basic objectives right:
i) The new ball is only effective for a short period of time. After it loses its shine or the batsman get set whatever little movement we get will not be effective anymore.
Action to be taken as Captain: Get close in catches in terms of slip fielders and gully so that we can try and get the early breakthroughs. It is the same if we are searching for a wicket in the middle of the game... get men in catching positions!

ii) When you attack you got to be prepared to concede some boundaries for the wicket you are searching for
Action to be taken as Captain: don't freakin take away the slips and gully after one boundary

iii) Pressure of runs brings wickets
Action to be taken as Captain: for gods sake keep fielders in the ring and save the singles even at the expense of few boundaries. It was criminal to let Hongkong milk singles so easily.. we should have invited them to go for it in order to pickup wickets

iv) Whatever your bowling plan is prior to the game can be changed according to match situation
Action to be taken as Captain: If a bowler is getting hammered for boundaries and not bowling decent line and length don't bring him back during CRUCIAL situations (farhad reza or Razzak vs Pakistan)

v) Do not follow theory blindly
Action to be taken as Captain: Off Spinners CAN bowl to righ handers and SLA's can bowl to left handers... so get your best bowlers in operation when you are searching for a wicket.
Dew affects spinners but it doesn't mean you have to resort to super part timers bowling seam up deliveries. If your spinners are more economical despite the dew please persist with them instead of using crap seam options.
Mushy's captaincy is questionable and maybe it is time to look into Shakib as a viable replacement. But sometimes the criticisms seem very out of place.

Your point 1,2,3 are exact same things - having close in fielders. So adding more bullet points is just inflating the grievances. In the last over we had close fielders. If number 9 and 10 HK batsmen can play uppishly or even hit 6 off Razzak then we can imagine what other better batsmen will do.

Beside Shakib, we just don't have any other bowlers who can contain runs and create that pressure to take wickets. Razzak had the ability but now that's a distant memory.

After 2 bad overs, he took Razzak off. But then he bowled a good 3rd over and Mushy had no choice but to let him bowl the last over.

Regarding following the script, he let Nasir bowl in Nepal match. He gave 1 run in the first over. So he gave another over. If he didn't then he would have been questioned as to why after such a great over Nasir was not bowled more. But then Nasir got hammered. In the HK match, he then let Shabbir bowled a crucial 19th over and he did well.

You have to understand that in T20 captains gamble. Some times it works (having AlAmin back early for his second spell against Nepal and he got 2 wickets) and sometimes it doesn't (Reza/Razzak).

As I said early, some of Mushy's decisions are mind baffling. But we are looking for a scapegoat and he is an easy target. Give specific examples instead of general comments (have close in fielders) then we can better identify exact mistakes.

My biggest criticism for him is his inability to pick correct 11. Yes, Faruk messed up the 15 but its Mushy/SJ who decides 11. Razzak/Reza playing while Momin/Gazi warming bench is strange.