View Single Post
Old July 31, 2012, 11:31 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
I know you're a patriot Sohel bhai but it almost seems that you're insinuating that Bangladeshis suffer from genetic deficiencies! Even if what you and F6 bhai say is true and that we are not 'naturally athletic', we still have an extreme capacity to work/labor (as F6 correctly pointed out). That can often mitigate for a certain dearth in natural talent, can't it?

Btw, that video is very unpleasant but we would be deluding ourselves if we thought that all Bengali parents treated their children well.
By the world "natural" I'm insinuating something behavioral within our normative culture, not genetic. That would be an absurd construct talking about 160 million people from diverse genetic backgrounds. Besides, predispositions and propensities for certain types of behavior can always be either harnessed or overcome with effort. Genetic ethnology is just that IMO, but cultural ethnology can be discussed somewhat more seriously in light of its normative expressions.

I acknowledge that there must be exceptions to my highly subjective observation. But maintain that generally speaking, "laboring hard and long" which our people do every day, and being "athletic" and competitive on the global stage even in endurance sports are two different things. Athletic temperament necessary for that level is also a major mitigating factor. I think it would be difficult to overcome those norms even if, and that's a VERY BIG IF, we manage to put a Chinese style draconian plan together to improve our literally abysmal athletic performances in the international arena.

We're just into taking other things as seriously as many nations take their sports at the highest level, and I think that's OK. But we still have the sports I mentioned. I'd like to see us excel in those at the highest level.

We have many people involved in varying degrees of domestic violence and child abuse here in Bangladesh, and many more who find that kind of evil acceptable. But watching others abusing our kids is increasingly far less accepted and that's what I was getting at
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; July 31, 2012 at 12:20 PM..