View Single Post
Old July 28, 2008, 07:20 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu2abu
I do find it strange that ash and alok have been cited by ishtylish as the technically best as they are both known as agressive batsman; more strokemakers than accumulators.

A player should only be considered as techinically sound if he plays consistently like that. i doubt you can say that about ash, having seen the way he gets out (in tests) there is no way his technique is sound. I could be wrong but that's how it seems to me.

Mushfique does have a good technique (and is hugely talented) but rakib looks more solid...
Technically correct doesn't necessarily equate to slow strike rate batsmen. In fact the players with the best averages are mostly accumulators of runs. The hybrid of aggression and technique is best exhibited by Tendulkar, arguably the best ODI batsman ever to put on the colour jersey. His technique according to many is amongst the very best. This aspect of his game is not talked about because his strokeplay overshadows it. Technically he is on par with Dravid and his strokeplay on his day is unmatched by anyone in world cricket. There are other aggressive batsmen like Sangakkara, Jayawardena, Ian Bell, Devilliers, Suresh Raina, Rohit Sharma, Gautam Gambhir, (reluctantly Jamie How), etc who all have amazing technique but they also manage to score at a decent SR.

The proof of Ash and Alok's technical superiority lies in their ability to play good bowlers and score at faster rate than rest of the bangladeshi batsman. They can do so because they have fewer flaws in their batting and hence more confident of attacking the bowlers. Ash and Alok and most other good batsmen in Bd suffer from lack of planning when they are batting. They feel obliged to put the ball in the air because of the self provoked pressure they create by allowing too many dot balls. Or maybe they just feel that there's always more room in the air.