View Single Post
Old November 23, 2011, 12:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by al-Sagar
First of all there is Huge difference between Farakka Dam and the proposed Tipaimukh Dam. Farakka is a DAM to control flow of water between two channels, while Tipaimukh will be a hydroelectric Dam that is used to store water in the upstream at a high water level reservoir and later release the water through the powerplants to the same original flow. it will be a similar DAM like Kaptai Dam.

now in farakka what happens we all know. Indians diverts the water to their desired amount to the part of ganga in india and padma is getting less water. in dry season we get very less. and sometimes in rainy season then they release extra water to BD so it causes flood.

now Tipaimukh will be different. here India is not diverting the water. they will initially build the dam and create the resoirvoir up stream. during that time BD will get very less water. actually not only BD the whole downstream including the india part will get very little year. it may take around three years for the Dam and Powerplants to be ready. During this time there is probability of increase of silt in the whole river bed.

and when the plants are ready and running the river will get lot of water all round the year. in fact even in the dry seasons there will water in the river all along the year. because the indians will want to make sure the DAM doesn't over flow in rainly seasons and they need to release the extra water in spillways. so what will be the effect in Sylhet area ?????

normally now in sylhet we see two different pictures ..... in the Rainly seasons we see water in the Low areas that we call the "Haor-Baors" and thats when the ppl in sylhet do the fishing. and in the dry season we see these haor-baors dry up and turns in paddy fields.

during the intial three-fours years when the dam will be built the haor-baors will be lost. so no fishing. only paddy cultivation. but when the powerplants will start running from then on we will see the haor-baors existing for the whole year. the paddy fields will now be lost. so the farmers in sylhet will have turn in fishermen. the fishermen will be happy as they now can do the fishing all year. now do you think it will be good for sylhet to have the haor-baors for the whole year ????

and finally the spillway effect. spillways are an essential part of a hydro-electric dam. when the water level of the upstream reservoir reaches close to its max level then we have to release excess water through the spillway to ensure the overflow or damage of dam ..... which is very dangerous. when a spillway is opened to release extra water ...... the current in the river will release almost 5-10 times, the level of water may increase 5-15 feet ...... that will cause flood and also Nodi-bhangon.

But whatever the bad sides the effects will be more dangerous at assam, monipur, the indian part which is upstream to Bangladesh will suffer more.

and one thing i firmly believe is it needs a very in depth study to actually determine how good or bad the tipaimukh dam will be for both india and bangladesh.

just think How good or bad kaptai Dam is for rangamati and chittagong ???? if you dont know the answer i will tell later. i worked for around 19 months at kaptai hydro plant. i was in kaptai for 19 months. i know about all the joys and sorrows of people of kaptai, rangamati and chittagong regarding kaptai dam and plant .......
Finally a very enlightning and level headed post and not some political mud slinging...

One thing is still clear, there can only be negative impact for Bangladesh with the Dam being built... I just hope we had some neutral observes and scientists who can actually study the impact...