View Single Post
Old March 13, 2012, 01:52 PM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
Coach, you're just pointing out that a de facto two tier system exists in the international cricket calendar where the lower ranked teams rarely ever get to play the higher ranked teams - at least in Tests. Your suggestion that someone like Shakib (who you're quite clearly referring to) would not have an impressive record in Australia or against India in India is a moot point as he has never been able to play a Test in either. Which is quite surprising considering he's been playing international cricket for about 6 years now.

Is it his fault that he only gets to play low ranked opponents? Is it his fault that he largely plays on low and slow surfaces rather than bouncy or swing conducive pitches? He does what he can with the opposition that is put before him.

In any case his record indicates that at the very least, on the bowling front, he would have done well against stronger opposition. It's not for nothing that he got back-to-back 5 wicket hauls against South Africa in South Africa (back in 2008) and has a 5 wicket haul against India (2010) where he dismissed Sehway, Laxman and Yuvraj Singh, no mugs with the bat against spin. With his exposure to county cricket since then, where he had a tough time with the bat but did quite well with the ball, I'm sure he's developed his ability to bat in pace-friendly conditions too. (But then again, that is also a moot point because it looks like it'll be a while before he plays a Test in pace-friendly conditions)
I was not referring to Shakib, otherwise I would have mentioned him! I mentioned Kallis specifically for a reason, and earlier ten Doeschate and others as all rounders that were there due to there being not many quality all rounders. I did not mention Shakib and nor was I referring to him.

Shakib is clearly Bangladesh's only current world class cricketer and his ranking points prove he is the second best behind Shane Watson at this time. You are quite right that players can only be rated against others around them. This was indeed my point. If we had an even playing field, where everyone played each other home and away with full squads, then I am sure we would see different results at the top of the listings. ten Doeschate's ODI record for example, includes a huge number of matches against sides like Scotland, Ireland, Bermuda, Canada and Namibia.

But Shakib is a symbol of what can be possible for Bangladesh cricketers. It would indeed be great if he could play regularly against the top sides in testing conditions like Watson and Kallis do. Shakib is good enough to, sadly the team isn't - and that is not his fault.