View Single Post
Old May 13, 2011, 03:21 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Default Anamul Haque and Others

The more I watch and discover there are talented players dotted across BD the more I am beginning to realise there needs to be more transparency over who gets an opportunity.

The latest example being 18 year-old Anamul Haque.

I am not just mentioning him due to his latest first-class 100, but also for the 5 catches behind the stumps and the fact he is a talented keeper, plus of course his superb 169 in April against the South Africans.

Once again, as with Saqlain Sajib, we have a talented player not flagged up or mentioned by the previous administration. "there is no one outside of the squad of 15 we have, worth looking at", was what was being said.

I am certain there are some really talented players who for a whole variety of reasons, are not being looked at. My suggestion is that someone sits down with the clubs and identifies who these players are. Then host some workshops and camps at Mirpur, where the national coaches can do testing and monitoring: fitness, skill levels, mental strength, etc... that way the coaching staff (bowling, batting, Grant, Julien and whoever else) get to actually SEE and MEET the talented players (not just the academy coaches and 'A' coaches). This means we would have a handle on who is who and who can do what.

As I have mentioned elsewhere I feel it makes sense to be open minded about selection of future players and not be guided by prejudice, favouritism and history. An amnesty is required if you like: a clean sheet wiped so everyone can be put into some sort of order.

We would not need this if we already had a system in place that worked perfectly.

I feel the new head coach, along with the new academy director, has to grab this by the scruff of the neck. This will also make the national selectors job a great deal easier too, when key players and back up players are identified and correctly and fairly assessed.

It would certainly be a start and whilst not perfect, does allow for an open door policy rather than one that appears to be a closed shop at times.

Anamul Haque's situation is evolving as he is young. He has made a highly promising start. But we all know one or two innings doesn't mean much. However, it does at least show he has SOMETHING and players who perform well should come to the attention of coaches so they can get assistance and opportunities up the food chain.

Going forward for BD cricket I feel all the pieces are there. It just needs someone to lead it forward and implement policies that with further the development of both first class and the national game. Because a strong domestic competition is desirable for a strong national side.

Make everything fair and then the players can know that if they perform they will get the chance at some stage. This also sends the message that those IN the national team who are not cutting it, can be replaced by those who deserve that chance.

Ultimately, BD needs a squad of committed and hungry for success players, who will stop at nothing to improve themselves and the results of the team.