Thread: Resilience
View Single Post
Old March 24, 2006, 06:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Resilience

My boy Beamer stated in another thread that Rana, while resilient, is not the only resilient player ever to play for BD!

Quote:
Originally posted by Beamer

He is not the only "resillient" and hard working player around. Poeple are infatuated with those qualities about him as if he is the only one with them.
Actually, while I have always maintained that Rana is resilient, I have to agree that the way the Rana fans talk about it, its as if he is the only one who has fought for BD.

Rana has played 21 ODI innings and in those 21 innings, he crossed 30 runs 3 times (63, 43 and 33). I have to hand it to him, they were all pretty resilient innings when the team itself didn't do to well. And one of those innings, the 63 against Zimbabwe, was the highest score for our side! Well done to Rana!!

But while we are talking about resilience, shall we also give credit to another player who stood up for Bangladesh when all others around him failed? Of course that player is none other than Alok Kapali! Few examples:

Lets start with the 45 against Australia at Colombo out of a score of 129. Next highest score in the match: 27.

How about the 34 against Australia at Cairns out of a total of 147? Needless to say it was the highest score again.

The 49 against Australia at Darwin out of a total of 142? The next highest score in the match was again 27!

Not impressed by his efforts against the world's best team?

How about his 71 out of our 168 against South Africa in Dhaka? The next highest score was 24!

Or the 89 not out out of a total of 190 against West Indies? Next highest score was 42!

Even his 32 against SL in the World Cup match out of the team's total of 124 was the highest score!

If a 63 against Zimbabwe can be the prime example of resilience followed by two other scores above 30, lets not leave out Kapali from our list of resilient BD batsmen. I don't think any other BD batsman has played as many fighting knocks against quality opposition as Kapali has (except perhaps Khaled Mashud)!